- Jeff Bezos, the wealthiest person alive, is now richer than he’s ever been.
- Bezos pledged to spend $10 billion to fight climate change in February and promised $100 million to food banks in April.
- As Amazon’s founder and CEO, Bezos was the first person in modern history to accumulate a fortune of over $100 billion — and he currently has a net worth of $171.6 billion, Bloomberg estimates.
- He spends his fortune on real estate across the US, a $65 million Gulfstream Jet, and his space exploration company, Blue Origin.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Jeff Bezos’ fortune has hit an all-time high — $171.6 billion, according to Bloomberg estimates.
The billionaire’s net worth surge comes alongside a jump in Amazon’s share price despite the coronavirus pandemic that has upended the American economy and Bezos’ agreement to surrender 25% of his Amazon stake to his ex-wife MacKenzie Bezos in a divorce settlement last year.
While Bezos has added $56.7 billion to his net worth in 2020 alone, per Bloomberg estimates, the coronavirus crisis has been an economic disaster for the rest of America, as an unprecedented 49 million Americans filed for unemployment benefits in recent months.
Bezos isn’t the only billionaire getting richer during the pandemic. Tesla’s Elon Musk and Zoom’s Eric Yuan both saw their net worths grow by more than $2 billion between March and June, Business Insider previously reported.
From real estate to space travel, here’s how Bezos spends his money.