- JPMorgan, the biggest US bank by assets, is closely watched as a bellwether for the entire financial industry.
- JPMorgan said on Thursday that CEO Jamie Dimon underwent emergency heart surgery. Dimon is currently recuperating after the operation.
- Dimon had been shaking up executive ranks over the past year. The bank is meanwhile trying to find new ways to use its monster tech budget to better serve clients and compete with rivals.
- Dimon had recently said that JPMorgan was looking to be more aggressive when it came to M&A.
- Business Insider reports regularly on the latest developments at JPMorgan. You can read our stories by subscribing to BI Prime.
JPMorgan is the biggest bank in the US and a bellwether for the global financial system. So when it comes to the bank’s most senior leaders, and particularly those in position to replace CEO Jamie Dimon, Wall Street pays attention.
Wall Street is paying even closer attention to who might succeed Dimon after JPMorgan said on Thursday that he underwent emergency heart surgery. Dimon is currently recuperating after the operation.
Here’s everything that’s been going on inside JPMorgan in recent months under Dimon’s leadership, including his recent comments on the bank being more aggressive when it comes to M&A, as well as a firm-wide tech push.
Leadership and succession
- JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon had emergency heart surgery as markets were crashing and coronavirus was spreading. Insiders told us exactly what happened in the 48 hours after he rushed to the hospital.
- After a health scare for Jamie Dimon, succession is in the spotlight at JPMorgan. Here are 6 powerful execs at the biggest US bank who could replace him.
- We identified the 70 most powerful people at JPMorgan. Here’s our exclusive org chart.
- JPMorgan handed its CFO a new role and it could be a sign she’s a candidate to replace Jamie Dimon
- JPMorgan is going through a big investment-banking leadership shakeup and 18 rainmakers have new roles keeping its biggest clients happy
JPMorgan’s M&A plans
- JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley, and Goldman Sachs execs gave us an inside look at how they’re slashing the time and cost of bringing fintechs onboard as Wall Street looks to newcomers for innovation
- An upstart exchange looking to elbow in on NYSE and Nasdaq just nabbed big buy-in from JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs, and Jane Street and set a go-live date
- London fintech unicorn Revolut is in talks to raise $1.5 billion from JPMorgan as funding plans grow
- JPMorgan is hiring to grow a team that designs tech used by its bankers and clients — and it shows the huge impact fintech is having on Wall Street
- Jamie Dimon makes renewed pitch for JPMorgan to be valued like a subscription service — and it shows how Wall Street is trying to echo Big Tech
- JPMorgan doesn’t want to get burned by AI and machine learning. Here’s how it avoids costly mistakes.
- JPMorgan, Goldman Sachs, and Citi are Wall Street’s most active fintech investors. Here are the 22 startups they poured money into this year.
- Meet the JPMorgan banker with no technical expertise who’s now in charge of one of the biggest data projects on Wall Street
- JPMorgan spends $11 billion on technology. But a top exec at the giant bank says its clients don’t want it to be a tech company.
- Wall Street’s massive tech spend has reached an ‘inflection point’ as billions in investments are starting to pay off
- JPMorgan says it’s poaching Google tech whizzes for its new equity-trading bot as Wall Street ramps up its automation revolution
- JPMorgan is building a cloud engineering hub in Seattle minutes away from Amazon and Microsoft, and it’s planning to hire 50 staffers this year
- JPMorgan is in the middle of a ‘massive process’ of cleaning up thousands of databases, and it’s hoping to unleash AI once it’s finished
- JPMorgan has tapped buzzy startup Snowflake to help it solve one of the biggest issues firms face when moving to the cloud
- JPMorgan just named its top cyber executive to run tech for retail banking as it steps up its focus on security
- A new study found JPMorgan and BofA are winning Wall Street’s technological arms race — and smaller firms may have no choice but to merge to keep up
- A JPMorgan exec explains why AI won’t take over the fintech world any time soon
Wealth management and retail banking
- JPMorgan is taking aim at apps like Robinhood by quietly rolling out options trading to select You Invest customers
- JPMorgan and UBS private wealth execs explain why they’re doing more private share-backed lending to Silicon Valley
- JPMorgan’s finance app for millennials was plagued with issues from the start. Here’s the inside story of how Finn fell apart.
- ‘Who is Finn?’: JPMorgan’s banking app for millennials seemed destined to fail from the start
- JPMorgan credit-card customers are seething about company plans to revoke their ability to sue them — here’s how to protect yourself
- JPMorgan flipped the banking playbook, and it’s helped it find customers, sell more products, and build new branches
- ‘If you get to 700, 750, we’ll cut your mortgage costs a little bit’: JPMorgan is working on ways to reward you for improving your credit score, and it may be the future of consumer finance
- A star quant just left JPMorgan for Citigroup in one of the most fiercely competitive hiring grounds on Wall Street
- JPMorgan has cut nearly two-dozen people in a group responsible for preventing traders from making risky bets
- JPMorgan and Citigroup just closed bond desks for smaller trades in favor of algorithms. It’s another sign that robots are taking over.
- Goldman Sachs is shuffling its top stock trading executives as the business tries to claw back market share from Morgan Stanley and JPMorgan
- ‘Fixed-income markets around the world are going to double’: JPMorgan’s Dimon offers a bold outlook, and it’s a sign bond trading may soar again
- JPMorgan poaches a star equities trader from Goldman Sachs who was part of team that made $200 million in profit in one day
- Top tech banker Noah Wintroub is at the center of WeWork’s failed IPO. We talked to insiders to learn more about his meteoric rise at JPMorgan.
- JPMorgan’s Jamie Dimon met with WeWork’s Adam Neumann to hash out how to get its botched IPO back on track
- A senior Goldman Sachs fintech banker was about to join JPMorgan — but then got lured back —and it’s another sign of the fierce battle for M&A talent
- A tug-of-war between Goldman Sachs and JPMorgan over a top banker highlights Wall Street’s $1 trillion battleground
- JPMorgan’s US M&A chief shares the secret sauce for getting deals to pop by flouting an old-school rule of dealmaking
- JPMorgan is chasing a $3 billion opportunity in places like Atlanta, Dallas, and Seattle — and it’s raised the stakes in Wall Street’s race for national dominance
- Inside the world’s biggest all-cash merger: How JPMorgan moved $57 billion in 6 hours so Bayer could pay for Monsanto