- Visa announced a partnership with the NFL for a cashless Super Bowl experience.
- And as more sports venues turn digital, there’s an opportunity for issuers and point-of-sale providers to expand visibility.
- Insider Intelligence publishes hundreds of insights, charts, and forecasts on the Payments & Commerce industry with the Payments & Commerce Briefing. You can learn more about subscribing here.
Visa will work with the NFL to create a digital, cashless Super Bowl experience that will apply to everything from parking to concessions and mobile ordering. Fans who only have cash can access ATMs that accept cash in exchange for Visa prepaid cards of up to $500, which can also be used outside the stadium.
This partnership comes after payment technologies company InComm Payments launched a similar cashless payments solution for the Jacksonville Jaguars’ home stadium, allowing fans to exchange cash for a prepaid Visa or Mastercard that’s branded with the team’s logo. InComm Payments plans to roll out this cashless solution to more sports venues across the US over the next few weeks.
Stadiums’ promotion of cashless spending reflects the overall trend toward digital payments and creates a new volume opportunity for payments players. Digital payments are surging in the US right now as customers eschew cash in response to concerns that paper money carries the virus.
These moves reflect that shift, as sports teams look toward existing payments trends to find ways to safely bring back fans after pandemic-driven stoppages—a move challenged by another wave of cases. And if players like Visa and InComm expand these programs, it would provide an opportunity for issuers and networks to reach users in new ways, and for point-of-sale (POS) providers to widen their markets and capture volume in new places.
Want to read more stories like this one? Here’s how you can gain access:
- Join other Insider Intelligence clients who receive this Briefing, along with other Payments & Commerce forecasts, briefings, charts, and research reports to their inboxes each day. >> Become a Client
- Explore related topics more in depth. >> Browse Our Coverage